Friday, June 11, 2010

Letters

So i just found and spent a good hour reading old highschool love letters, from ex girlfriends and just "friends". Really trippy, yet nostalgic to read. I couldn't help but smile a little. So much love and thought, transcribed on a few pieces of paper. After all, i've always said that writing someone a letter is the closest thing to feeling close to someone when they aren't there... which I think would explain why we chose to spend the time to pen down our thoughts in the age of phones and cells and pagers (at that time yes pagers). And this is why I still write letters when I can. I encourage you to do the same! You'll never know what could happen, as was the case with my best friend. In the process of moving to a new place, he accidentally knocked over a box, spilling a bunch of letters similar to the ones i just read tonight. And whatever struck me to open the envolopes and start reading, struck him too. Most of these were "love" letters from a girl he met and fell for at a summer camp back in highschool. They had continued being friends afterwards, but then they would eventually lose touch as you might expect. But after reading the letters, the whiff of nostalgia over took him, and prompted him to reconnect with her after years of not talking. Present day: they are happily married and have a beautiful baby girl Madeleine (my goddaughter). So again, I encourage you to write a letter to someone if you can... just tell them about your day, or what they mean to you or how you feel for them. They might one day stumble upon it and read it, to have it just brighten up their day if they're feeling down or insecure (as was the case for me), or in the extreme case of my best friend, change their lives...

No comments: